Friday, February 3, 2012

Book Review: MY SOUL TO TAKE by Rachel Vincent

My Soul To Take (Soul Screamers #1)
Author: Rachel Vincent
Publication Date: August 1st 2009
Publisher: Harlequin
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy/Paranormal

Summary on Goodreads:

She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.
My Thoughts:

I've already heard good things about this series but not until the Soul Screamers Reading Challenge came up that I was able to (finally) read it. I've started with My Soul To Lose (see my review here) and immediately jumped into this book. I find the story unique and interesting because I haven't read anything like it before. The term bean sidhe hadn't occured to me before until I came across this book. According to legend, Bean sidhe (in Scottish) or what referred to as banshee, is a fairy woman who begins to wail if someone is about to die. But here in the story, there are also male banshee who has different abilities than the female banshee. Female banshee wail for a person who is about to die while the male banshee can guide the soul of the dead back to it's body. 

I really enjoyed reading this book because of several reasons. One thing is the pacing of the story. It doesn't drag and it kept me occupied up to the last page. The premise is good and it build up a strong foundation for the series. Whatever it is that the next books will have to offer are surely something that would be worth your time in the end. Not only the world-building is good, but also the characters. I liked Kaylee and her best friend Emma. Finally, not a best friend who is like a slut, and care nothing but her looks and her lovelife. It's good that Kaylee have someone like her. I really liked Nash Hudson. The gorgeous and swoon worthy type of guy whom you can't resist to admire. And I'm fond of Tod--the mysterious, beautiful, angelic-face grim reaper who works at the hospital and stays at Nash house. This seems unusual to Kaylee and to me, too. But the mystery is really good. Both boys are adorable and I love them both. Their presence just made the story even more entertaining. Kaylee, Tod and Nash made me feel so curious and anxious since I'm anticipating some delicious love triangle that could blossom in the next books. 

There is so much to appreciate about My Soul To Take and almost nothing to hate. Except maybe for Kaylee's occasional whining about feeling guilty and responsible for those deaths. She's risking too much especially the lives of those people she loves for doing the things she doesn't fully understand. It's the only thing that I didn't like, but the rest are surprisingly good.

With beautiful writing and clear description from the author, fans of paranormal/fantasy novels will surely enjoy this one. The romantic flavor and the mysteries that surround the characters' lives will keep you reading and wanting for more. I just love this book and I'm glad that I've finally picked this up. I do recommend it.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree, April! The world building is great, the concept of bean sidhes as paranormal creatures super original, and both Nash and Tod are lovely!

    I do agree about the whole blaming thing. Then again, it might be because I'm not the best of persons... but I'm quite unable to understand why she things it's her duty to prevent the deaths that make her wail.

    (And if that bothered you in one... boy, wait till you see the plot for two!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I still have this unread on my shelf. I think I've had it for a year now I really have to get to it soon. I love a book that always has something going on and i've heard so many great things about this whole series! Wonderful review my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the uniqueness of this series...like Ron said...bean sidhes. I've read very few books that even refer to them. Maybe one that I can think of off the top of my head! Excellent review. I can't wait until you read If I Die...I'm interested for your opinion.

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that this was going to be a great review when I saw how fast you are reading through the series. I hope to read these soon. Great review.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I may not be able to reply to every post but I read them all. Thank you so much for your visit! Come back soon =)