Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Review: Making Faces by Amy Harmon

Making Faces
Author: Amy Harmon
Published: October 12, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition

Summary | Add to TBR Ambrose Young was beautiful. He was tall and muscular, with hair that touched his shoulders and eyes that burned right through you. The kind of beautiful that graced the covers of romance novels, and Fern Taylor would know. She'd been reading them since she was thirteen. But maybe because he was so beautiful he was never someone Fern thought she could have...until he wasn't beautiful anymore.
Making Faces is the story of a small town where five young men go off to war, and only one comes back. It is the story of loss. Collective loss, individual loss, loss of beauty, loss of life, loss of identity. It is the tale of one girl's love for a broken boy, and a wounded warrior's love for an unremarkable girl. This is a story of friendship that overcomes heartache, heroism that defies the common definitions, and a modern tale of Beauty and the Beast, where we discover that there is a little beauty and a little beast in all of us.

My Thoughts:

“I don't think we get answers to every question. We don't get to know all the whys. But I think we will look back at the end of our lives, if we do the best we can, and we will see that the things that we begged God to take from us, the things we cursed him for, the things that made us turn our backs on him or any belief in him, are the things that were the biggest blessings, the biggest opportunities for growth.”

There are things I expected from this book but I'm not sure if "inspiring" was one of them until I read it. You can't really judge a book by it's cover or by it's title. This book isn't like something that you will grab immediately when you see it. But this book is so much more than what you think it is. It's heartbreaking and beautiful all together. My heart has been broken by other books many times before but very few had actually made me cry. Making Faces is one of those rare books that deeply touched my heart. It's worth the read, it's worth the tears. The inspiring verses from the bible is one big bonus and it made me appreciate the story even more. Making Faces is a beautiful story of friendship and loyalty, love and sacrifice, forgiveness and acceptance. It was really touching and very inspiring. It deserves to be read and I recommend it to all who are beautiful and knows how to love and be loved, and especially to those who has Ugly Girl/Boy Syndrome who doesn't think they are beautiful and capable of loving and being loved in return. 

"And so we endure. We have faith that there is purpose. We hope for things we can't see. We believe that there are lessons in loss, power in love, and that we have within us the potential for a beauty so magnificent that our bodies can't contain it.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I may not be able to reply to every post but I read them all. Thank you so much for your visit! Come back soon =)