Friday, September 9, 2011

Book Review: WILDEFIRE by Karsten Knight

Wildefire (Wildefire #1)
Author: Karsten Knight
Publication Date: July 26, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Genre/Category: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, Mythology

Summary on Goodreads:

Every flame begins with a spark.

Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.

I am the fieriest depths of hell.
I am the surface of the sun.
I am the belly of a volcano.
I am the unstoppable force that
has formed new islands, and the
same unstoppable force that has
brought cities to their knees.
I am the volcano goddess who has
survived a thousand years.
I am Ashline Wilde, and I may
not survive another thousand
years, but I'll go down in flames
before I go up in smoke.
My Thoughts:

The first time I saw this book, I instantly fell in love with the beautiful cover. It was very enticing and the summary is as promising as well.

I always love a strong, butt-kicking heroine, and Ashline Wilde did not disappoint. From the beginning, I was entertained by her wit, confidence and occasional stubbornness. On top of that, she was never annoying. I enjoyed getting to know her and was so  excited to see the story unfolds.  The story is really good and I didn't want to put down the book until I can't keep my eyes open anymore.

If you think gods and goddesses lived on top of the mountain or high above the clouds, or maybe beneath the depth of the earth, then I'd say think again. What if they could be one of us? Going to the same school as yours, lurking on the forests outside your house or maybe living in the same neighborhood. They die like us, but they are being born over and over again. This idea made the story unique and interesting. It gave us a world where gods and goddesses from different mythology exists. It was fascinating.

Another amazing thing about the story is the characters. The author created well-developed heroes and heroines that made them all admirable. These characters kept me entertained especially with their good humor and wit. Most of their lines became my favorites and I find myself writing them down. Believe me, I ended up writing a lot and I even noted a couple of whole pages! The author did great in adding the humor flavor that it made me smile and giggle while reading them.

What more can I say? I enjoyed every part of the book, from the beginning up to the last page... especially the last page! Just as I thought that all the suspense evaporated, I was unexpectedly blown away by the ending. Who ever saw that coming? I bet no one anticipated a big surprise that made me even more excited to read the next book! As much as I was itching to tell you what that is, I know I shouldn't spoil your future reading. You just have to grab the book and see  it for yourself. It was fascinatingly good!

My Rating:

8 comments:

  1. This was such a good review! I always planned on getting this book eventually, but now I'm excited to get my hands on it. Thanks for reviewing it and making me get all excited lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really enjoyed it. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did! =) Thank you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed this one!! It was definitely a crazy ride. I really loved the descriptive writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this - or anything like it, but great review! Thanks for stopping by at my blog FF - I'm a new follower. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard really good things about this book everywhere, going to have to seek a copy out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started reading this book and couldn't get through the first 80 pages :/ maybe I'll give it another shot since you loved it so much :)

    http://bookmigik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been hearing awesome things about this book for awhile now. I am going to have to check it out soon.

    I love that it has a crazy twist at the end. I love when books make me ache for the next one to be out.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you ladies for stopping by. I find it really good and I can't wait for the next book. I hope you all enjoy it when you've decided to finally read it =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I may not be able to reply to every post but I read them all. Thank you so much for your visit! Come back soon =)