Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Book Review: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publication Date: January 10th 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary

Summary | Add to TBR
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
My Thoughts:

Finally! Now I know what the loud buzz was all about. It was a meaningful read and this book was amazing. I may be one of the few who wouldn't give a perfect 5 star rating, but it doesn't mean I loved this book any less. So for the mean time, let me tell you what I loved about this book.
The world is not a wish-granting factory. -Augustus Waters
Okay. I'll skip the summary.

When I started reading the first few pages, I found myself REALLY laughing out loud. And people around me looked at me and asked "what happened? what's that all about?" I'll tell you.

This book is hilarious. Amazingly funny and crazy and quirky. I loved how the author wrote it. And yeah, I was laughing all the time because of the choice of words which the author used in narrating the story. It was a very good laugh, and I loved it. And that's what makes this book great and unique--the way it can make you feel that way, and still it makes you feel aware that something is wrong and something scary might happen. And I was right. I was laughing in many parts of the story, and by the end of the book, I felt like my heart was broken into pieces.
Depression is not a side effect of cancer. Depression is a side effect of dying. - Hazel Grace
Hazel Grace and Augustus were no perfect couple but they're perfect for each other. Their disabilities made them. What they're lacking made them whole. I think that's the best thing I got from this book. To live a grand life even though it seems that there were no reasons to do so. Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters might be physically weak but they are two strong characters all through out the story. They are crazy and fun to read about. You'll love them both, plus you'll love Isaac, too. He's the amazingly funny friend of Gus and Hazel, who is blind and dumped by her ex-girlfriend. It was enjoyable to see their journey as they experience how to love, be loved, to live and die. It was amazing how the author crafted great characters that made this book very entertaining.

What I loved most about the story is how it made me happy and sad at the same time. It felt good to laugh over a book and then cried over it afterwards. I guess there will never be enough explanation on how this book made me feel. It was hilarious and yet heart breaking. Tragic but beautiful. 
"I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you." -Augustus Waters
Don't be afraid to read The Fault In Our Stars. Yes, it is an emotional read and you might cry over it (make sure to ready some tissue), but it was a fun, crazy journey of two characters who have meaningful fight with cancer, who are trying to enjoy every cancer perks they were given, who wishes on Genies yet aware that the world is not a wish-granting factory. It's a story about a boy who lived grand and who rides a roller coaster that only goes up and a girl who is willing to ride the roller coaster with him. Read this book, meet these amazing characters, know what An Imperial Affliction is all about, and experience Amsterdam. 

I have my reason why I gave it a 4 coffee cups rating and I will tell you why. I was impressed by how the two characters talked about life and cancer and everything, but sometimes it was too much for me to easily get it. Some dialogue were a bit hard to understand (or maybe I'm the one with the problem *wink) but other than that, this book is great in every way.

It was sad and heart breaking but over all it was beautiful. You should read it. I'm glad that I DID. This is the first book by John Green that I've ever read, and surely it won't be the last.  
You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers. - Augustus Waters about Hazel Grace.
P.S. I've never really liked the word "Okay" until now :)

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Ack! My poor heart can't handle angst! But your review might've just given me enough courage to hike up my skirts and venture into the hearbreaking world of The Fault in Our Stars. Thanks for sharing!

    Joyousreads
    (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this book, April! I don't think I could read it :) The looming darkness, the inminent death... I think I'd be too worried to enjoy the funny parts - or would keep myself too distanced from the story to avoid crying in the end, and would not enjoy it anyway. Awww...

    Anyway! It was a great review! Thanks for sharing! Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man, I can't WAIT TO READ THIS. I just bought this and OH GOSH. I want to cry for this book. And those quotes! Tantalizing perfection. Excellent review!

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with A. Knight. I can't wait to read this. I am curious to see the level of discussion content since I have seen it on so many book club suggestion lists.
    Thank you for your insightful review.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I may not be able to reply to every post but I read them all. Thank you so much for your visit! Come back soon =)