Thursday, May 17, 2012

Book Review: IF I DIE by Rachel Vincent

If I Die (Soul Screamers #5)
Author: Rachel Vincent
Publication Date: September 27th 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy

Summary | Add to TBR
The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee—she screams when someone dies. 

But the next scream might be for Kaylee. 

Yeah—it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck…before he discovers they aren't quite human, either. 

But Kaylee's borrowed lifeline is nearing its end. And those who care about her will do anything to save her life. 

Anything.
My Thoughts:

Wow. All the unhealthy emotions I had in the first couple of books totally pay off. It was a total page-turner. I loved it! This is my most favorite among all the Soul Screamers books so far.

For the first time, love became real for Kaylee. What had been missing from her relationship with Nash, she feels now with Tod. Though I loved Nash from the beginning, I always looked for something special, something extraordinary, something deeper and true. Now I understand, it wasn't Nash after all but Tod. 
"You just say the word, and I'll make the rest of the world go away. I'll take you someplace safe, where no one else can reach us."

"I'm here because I couldn't stay away from you. I'll spend the next three hundred years trying to make this up to Nash, if that's what it takes..."

-Tod
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this book. From the beginning up to the end, I was nailed in my seat. I couldn't put it down! I got so angry with Sabine that I wanted to smack her beautiful face and throw her out in the milky way! Thank goodness there's Tod, and he was so freaking adorable and swoon-worthy. Beware of the banshee brothers. Kaylee certainly knew that by now. I was heartbroken because of Nash, I really liked him though he made a mess in his life. He made poor choices. Very stupid choices. And because of that, Kaylee is slipping away from him... towards Tod. Okay, so that wasn't a surprise to me anymore since I got hints before, but the rest of the events were shocking to me. Kaylee is dying and Tod will do everything to help her. And as usual, Kaylee is back in saving everyone from everything, even though she's running out of time and death is on her way now. She's still a bit irritating to me but I began to like her now and can't wait to see how she'll cope up with her new life in the next book.

You want some complication? Well, these four characters certainly take the word "complicated" to the next level. Sabine needs Nash. Nash needs Sabine. And Nash also needs Kaylee but Kaylee doesn't need Nash because Kaylee needs Tod. Reading about them was heartbreaking yet enjoyable and I had mixed emotions that I never want to end. The feeling was overwhelming--knowing that in the end,  you'll get what you want, what you need, and you'll be satisfied. I didn't expect anything like that. I can't even explain it. I was just amazed by how Rachel Vincent pulled off everything to make it this good. I'm telling you, when you see other reviews that says, it's a roller-coaster ride and the best among the series, then believe them! It was. And it still is!
"I don't expect you to understand... I can't justify what I did and I can't explain what I feel for him, and I honestly don't know where it would go, if I were to be here past tomorrow. All I know is how good I feel when I'm with him, and how I want to be with him when he's gone, and how, when he looks at me, I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach, like I'm falling, but I can't remember jumping, and I don't think I'll ever hit the ground." - Kaylee 
I am now so excited for the next book, too bad it won't be available until June. I am so glad that I read it and you'll surely don't want to miss it!


My Rating:
Take a look at the next Soul Screamers book:

Before I Wake (Soul Screamers #6)
by Rachel Vincent
June 16th 2012

Summary | Add to TBR
I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school... Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life....

4 comments:

  1. Finally, she's caught up! I'm glad you "suffered" through the first couple of books to get to this one. If I Die completely made the series for me. And...I have to tell you how much I love this line from your review...

    Sabine needs Nash. Nash needs Sabine. And Nash also needs Kaylee but Kaylee doesn't need Nash because Kaylee needs Tod.

    I don't think anyone could have summed up these four characters any better than that. Awesome review April! I need Before I Wake, like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much Kristin! You made me smile this big ^____________^ today! Hugs hugs hugs! I finished If I Die last March and wrote this review afterwards. I just didn't post it until the 5th month for the Soul Screamers Reading Challenge :) I'm so glad that you liked it! You made it all worthwhile.

      Hugs and Lots of Smooches!
      April <3

      Delete
  2. April, we're the same! The first books didn't work so good, but now? This series is literary Heaven! (Well, that might be too much, but you get my meaning). I think what Rachel Vincent did, stablishing a hero and then bringing him down and replacing him, was extremely daring but really well executed...

    And yes, I love Tod. Team Tod since forever, but Team Tod with Hopes since book 3.5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree Ron. It was a daring move for Rachel Vincent to do. It was exciting and I can't believe I've switched teams. It's unusual cos I don't normally do that. LOL. Nash and Tod are amazing characters with all their flaws and weaknesses. I guess that made me love both boys. But Tod was beyond amazing in IF I DIE (okay, maybe that's too much as well lol). I can't wait to see him and Kaylee again.

      Delete

I love comments! I may not be able to reply to every post but I read them all. Thank you so much for your visit! Come back soon =)