Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Book Review: PURE by Jennifer Armentrout

Pure (Covenant #2)
Author: Jennifer Armentrout
Publication Date: March 13th 2012
Publisher: SPencer Hill Press
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy

Summary | Add to TBR

There is need. And then there is Fate... 

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. 

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon... and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude... or killing her. 

When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.
My Thoughts:

A few weeks ago, I finished Obsidian, another book by Jennifer Armentrout, and writing the review was really hard for me. I stared at my laptop screen for too long before I was able to write the first word! And now, after reading Pure, it felt like a deja vu. She is an amazing writer and she got this awesome way with words. I don't know how to put my feelings over this book, because honestly, it's so good. The time I started it, I couldn't put it down. I loved it. I totally loved it!

I enjoyed Half-Blood from the start and it just made me even more excited for Pure. The whole gang is back. The awesome characters we all loved and adored--the gorgeous, swoon-worthy Pure-blood Aiden, the beautiful and sometimes pain-in-the-ass Apollyon Seth, and the stubborn but strong-willed Alex who is ultimately kickass! I loved these characters so much that even after I finished the book, I still find myself thinking about them. 

This book is as awesome as book one. I can't tell which is better because they both surpassed my expectations. As I've said, Jennifer Armentrout is a talented writer and I think you can never go wrong with her books. From Daimon to Pure, you'll just love them all the more. It was thrilling and action-packed. The romance is ahh.... just amazing. I love Seth but I am rooting for Aiden. Both guys are awesome. It's actually hard to choose! Alex status might as well be like: "it's complicated".

Engaging and heart wrenching, this book will keep you awake way past your bed time. There are lots of funny moments and heartbreaking ones too. Expect an emotional roller coaster ride. It will leave you breathless but you don't want the story to end. 

Read Half-Blood, read Pure. Read Obsidian and the rest of Jennifer Armentrout's books! You'll never be disappointed. It's pure awesomeness. I highly recommend! If you don't trust me, you can ask my Starbooks friends *wink.

My review will not be complete without this awesome-sauce lines from Pure:
“If I was like every other pure-blood, I would have had you by now, without even thinking about the consequences for you. Every day is a struggle not to be like them.” 

“I’ve been told my lips can make a girl forget just about anything. You should try it out.”

“I wouldn’t give up being a Sentinel for the world. Or being the Apollyon. I rock.”
Laughing, I rolled my eyes. “Wow. You’re so humble.”

Aiden swiped the blades off the mats. “I really need to find a way to bar those doors.”
Seth shot Aiden a look. “I really wish you’d try.”

“I don’t like your practices with Aiden. So no, I won’t get off.”
My throat felt dry. “You just don’t like Aiden.”
“You’re right. I don’t like him. I don’t like the way he looks at you, and I really don’t like the way he looks at me.”

“Do you ever take anything seriously?” I pushed to my feet.
Seth shot to his feet, towering over me. “I take you seriously.”

“You’ve never shown any interest in getting to know me better. You don’t know a thing about me.”
“That’s not true.”
His lips curled into a sardonic grin as he let go of my hand. “You don’t even know my last name, Alex.”

“I think so. I want a hamburger and a hot dog.” I paused. “And ice cream in one of those waffle cones. And—and I want to see the big kitties.”
“So demanding,” he murmured, grinning. “Well, we better get started, then.”

“If you weren’t a pure, what would you be doing right now? Like, what would you want to do with your life?”
Aiden glanced down at our hands and then his gaze flicked to mine. “Right this instant? I’d be doing a hell of a lot more than what I’m allowed to do.”

“Ever since I’ve met you, I’ve wanted to break every rule... You’ll become the center of someone’s world one day. And he’ll be the luckiest son of a bitch on this earth.”

“I’m not trying to pawn you off on someone. You were never mine to do so.”
I leaned forward, my fingers digging into my thighs as I spoke in a whisper thick with pain. “I was never yours? You should’ve thought about that before you stripped me naked in your room!” 

You can choose to continue wasting away for something you can never have.”

All right, little Apollyon—who is not completely trained and is on the verge of becoming annoying—go with your uncle.”

"You know, I don’t know which is worse. That I was stupid enough to want to kiss you, or the fact that you’re still hung up on someone who doesn’t even want you.”

A fine shiver coursed over my skin. “Seth?”
“Yeah?”
“You were in my dream.”
One amber-colored eye opened. “Please tell me we were naked.”
I rolled my eyes. “You’re such a perv.”

My last conscious thought was of my biggest mistake—not the boy beside me, but the one I could never have.
My Rating:
Next book in the series:
Deity (Covenant #3)
Expected Release Date: November 6th 2012
Read Summary & Add to TBR

2 comments:

  1. That cover is so pretty just like the cover of Half-Blood. I have yet to read Half-Blood, but I should because that means another awesome cover added to my bookshelf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, ALex Seth and AIden! I havent read any of these books but you totally convinced to move the up on my list! I need to check on those guys soon! Excellent review my deaaat. I SO need to read more of this author. Snif!

    Im so happy to see you back in my blog too ^.^ I missed you!! So thnx for stopping by ^.^

    XOXOXO have a beutiful week my dear! =D

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I may not be able to reply to every post but I read them all. Thank you so much for your visit! Come back soon =)