Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Book Review: FIRST DATE by Krista McGee


First Date
Author: Krista McGee
Published Date: January 10th 2012
Published By: Thomas Nelson
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Religious/Inspirational

Summary from Goodreads:
Addy Davidson discovers God's unexpected plans for her life when a reality TV show turns her quiet existence on its head. The orphaned daughter of missionaries, Addy is quite content to stay in the shadows and never draw attention to herself. But when she's selected for a reality TV show to try to become the President son's prom date-a show she didn't audition for-she's suddenly in America's spotlight. The lights, the make-up, the competitions, and the blogs discussing every move she makes all make Addy incredibly uncomfortable. But through her time at The Mansion, Addy comes to realize that first impressions aren't always right, that hiding out may not be what God had planned for her life, and that her faith should affect everything she does. It may just be that her selection wasn't random at all and that she's on this show "for such a time as this." Add to TBR
Note: This book is provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts:
[God] You are why I'm here.
What will you do when you were chosen to represent your school in a reality TV show to win the heart of the President's handsome son and be his date on the prom? Most girls would jump up with the idea but Addy was different. She preferred studying and reading her books over life in the spotlight. She's a quiet girl contented with her simple life. She's also a Christian and God has a bigger, much better plan.

The story of Addy is a modern retelling of the story of Esther in the Bible--the good, wise and very beautiful Israelite who became Queen and wife of King Xerxes of Persia. In this modern retelling of the story, the author has written an inspiring novel that will grab hold of your heart. It will make you happy and sad at the same time. There is no dragging parts and the characters are nice to read about. The moments Addy stepped into the spotlight, you'll find yourself wanting to know what will happen to her and her relationship with Jonathon. I just wish there was more of Jonathon in the story because I enjoyed every part when they were together. I wish those moments were a lot longer. 

Mean girls are just mean. I hate them. But the story tells us to love our enemies more. Addy were surrounded by people who seemed to hate her even more everyday, but yet she managed to survive and do what God asked her to do. There are moments when I find myself in her shoes, because just like her,  I experience those times when I feel like God is talking to me, but it's just isn't the right time for me (that's what I thought) and I try to ignore Him. Maybe you are like me, or like Addy but this book will inspire you. I think that people will enjoy this story and somehow they will be able to relate with Addy or with some other character that the author created. Though others may find it a bit preachy in some parts, I don't doubt that it will somehow capture not only the hearts of Christian teenagers but also the hearts of those who are just looking for a light and refreshing read. 

The message of this book is clear: we may have to risk the things that are important to us when we speak up for what is right and for what God asks us to do in order to fulfill His plan. It will take a lot of courage to do that, but it will always be worth it in the end. God has a greater plan for each of us and we just need to trust Him and believe in His promises.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Your post inspires me to read this book, I don't really read much of characters who think about God and religion, but in truth I think religion is an important aspect in life, that's why it furthers intrigues me to pick up this book and read it. Besides, the plot seemed interesting:)

    Great review!

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the holiday book!

    No, seriously. I had no idea about the religious aspect of this book. I think it has completely changed the perception that I had of it - making it deeper and more worthwhile. I don't want to say that I'll pick it up, because I'm not sure I can afford to add more books to my pile, but I'll certainly consider it an interesting possibility.

    Thank you so much for this review, April!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a deep book! Cute too I adore that cover! Wonderful review my dear!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear! I never heard about this book before!! wow!! thanks for reviewing it =)yay!!
    I love the message of the book! I might pic it up only because of it =9!!

    take care my sweet ^.^ muah!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I may not be able to reply to every post but I read them all. Thank you so much for your visit! Come back soon =)