Monday, April 2, 2012

Book Review: OBSIDIAN by Jennifer Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author: Jennifer Armentrout
Publication Date: December 6th 2011
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance

Summary | Add to TBR

Starting over sucks.When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth. Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is.
My Thoughts:

I've been staring at my laptop screen since four in the afternoon and at 7:30 pm, here's how my screen looked like:

Yep, you see it now... just the summary and the gorgeous picture of Daemon Black. No words came out. I can't think of the right words to describe this book. *Sucks. I just want to finish this review and head out to reading another book. I badly needed time and I've wasted too many hours staring at Daemon Black's photo.

After hours of staring and... well, lots of staring, here it goes. I hope I get it right this time. 

What I liked loved about Obsidian:

The characters. One of the many things I love about reading is meeting different kinds of characters--most of them I tend to love and and some are so remarkable that I can't seem to get them out of my system anymore. I so love Daemon Black. Who wouldn't love such a guy. The sarcasm, the wit, the confidence, no to mention being so hot and sexy and drop dead gorgeous. And he's an alien--sexy (jerk), everyday swoon-worthy (punch-worthy) alien with striking green eyes and kissable lips... What's not to love? And I bet you would love to meet Katy. She's an avid reader and a book blogger too! This girl cannot be tamed, and even Daemon with his killer ego and top-of-the-line sarcasm couldn't break her. The harder Daemon pushed, the harder she pushed back. She's strong and she knows how to bounce back. She's smart and definitely a kick-ass.

To see how amazingly sarcastic Daemon is, and how smart Katy handle this Daemon's side, here are some funny parts of the book which I enjoyed a lot:
Daemon: I knew you would be trouble from the start, from the moment you knocked on my door.
...
Daemon: Oh, you're an expert in crazy people now?
Katy: A month with you and I feel I have a master's degree in the subject.
...
Daemon: Not all of us have control of what we can do. Some struggle with their abilities.
Katy: But you do?
Daemon: I'm just that awesome.
...
Katy: Why are you such an ass?
Daemon: Everyone has to excel at something, right?
Katy: Well, you're doing a great job.
The story. This book is a total page-turner. From the moment Katy stepped up at Daemon's door, I didn't want to put it down. That instant when Daemon Black opened his deliciously looking lips, err I mean mouth and spoke to Katy, I just wanted to know what his problem was, and why he was a total jerk to her. I liked their push-and-pull kind of relationship, it was so irresistible and enjoying. The I-want-to-hate-you-but-I-love-you kind of thing? It's actually one of the reasons why readers love this book! The mystery, the heart-pumping actions and the unique story will keep you awake way past your bed time. Let's just say, the word "boring" is definitely out of the vocabulary when it comes to this book.

Jennifer Armentrout is one amazing author. I love her writing and the way she creates her stories. She knows how to pull her readers into the book and she always creates remarkable characters that readers tend to love. If you haven't read any of her books, this one will definitely make a good start. You won't be disappointed.
"... how beautiful could you truly be if you let a man fall to his death just because he slipped? How could you even be capable of love or worthy of it, for that matter, if you let that happen?" - Katy
My Rating:

Other books by Jennifer Armentrout:
DAIMON (A Covenant Novella)
Add to TBR 
Read My Review.
HALF-BLOOD (Covenant #1)
Add to TBR
Read my Review
PURE (Covenant #2)
Add to TBR


6 comments:

  1. Great Review. There are so many awesome quotes that can be pulled from Obsidian. They all make me laugh. I love Daemon...and Katy.

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who wouldn't love such an ass? err I mean, such a guy! Kristin, you make me talk beyond my usual thing. lol

      Delete
  2. Great review, April!! (even if it was difficult to write it, it was so worth it!)

    I really need to grab obsidian, soon. I read Shadows a few days back, and I fell in love with the characters and the writing style - specially the unique voices! Also, the action was super cool and well-handled, so... Yeah. First spot I get? Obsidian is coming down the TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ron! Thanks for stopping by. I miss you too!
      Oh, and go read Obsidian! Well, it's on my favorite list now. Uhm, not really on the first spot but definitely one among those books I place on top :)

      Delete
  3. I agree Obsidian rocks! Love Daemon. Reading Onyx now and it's just as good.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You got ONYX!
    (Jealous much here)

    <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I may not be able to reply to every post but I read them all. Thank you so much for your visit! Come back soon =)