Along for the Ride
Author: Sarah Dessen
Published Date: June 11th 2009
Published By: Speak
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Chick-Lit
Summary on Goodreads:
It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.
A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.
In her signature pitch-perfect style, Sarah Dessen explores the hearts of two lonely people learning to connect. (Add this on your TBR)
Maybe the truth was it shouldn’t be easy to be amazing. Then everything would be. It’s the things that you fight for and struggle with before earning that have the greatest worth. When something’s difficult to come by, you’ll do that much more to make sure it’s even harder—if not possible—to lose.
Auden's life has always been about school--grades, weighted GPAs, admission to college... But she and her life changed when she stepped at the beautiful beach town where her father and his new family lives. There she met three girls whom she never thought would be her friends, and a couple of boys that made her summer even more interesting. And then theres Eli, the intriguing boy who doesn't talk to anybody but her. They end up spending time together during the night, store-going, drinking coffee, and eating pies. Suddenly, insomnia looks like a good thing! Not that I want one, but if I'm going to spend the night just like Auden and Eli, then I might consider it too. Together, they took on a journey where each of them realized how important second chances are... that no matter how many times you failed in life, the important thing is how many times you are willing to try again.
If you love summer, you'll love it even more! Along for the Ride gave me just enough of everything I want. The setting is beautiful, the characters are likable. The story is emotional with lots of drama and it deals with the issues about family, friendship, love and even death. They will keep you turning the pages and reading more... wanting more... Who wouldn't want a summer on the beach, with new found friendships and a blossoming romance with a cute boy? I love Eli and I love Auden. I still think about them often and I feel happy every time.
This is the first book I read written by Sarah Dessen, and it won't definitely be the last one. Though there are parts where I find them far too detailed, it was still beautiful and enjoying. I love Sarah Dessen's writing and I became her new fan after reading this book. I recommend it to everyone who needs a dose of drama, who loves realistic fiction and who wants to read the blooming of a delicious romance. Pick a Sarah Dessen's book, pick this one!
“I told you. I’m very good at being bad at things.”It's hard to start a review when I'm too excited and yet out of words to describe exactly what I think about a book. It was a mixed emotions and it was indescribable. It's the kind of feeling that I want to experience over and over again, as if I couldn't get enough of it. Now I understand why most readers knows and loves Sarah Dessen. Read one of her stories and you might end up wanting more. Surely she knows how to write a perfect love story. And maybe there's no such thing as perfect though, but this one is close!
I glanced over at him again as we come to another stop sign. “So you never get discouraged?”
“Of course I do,” he said. “Failing sucks. But it’s better than the alternative.”
“Which is?”
“Not even trying.” Now he did look at me, straight on. “Life’s short, you know?”
If you love summer, you'll love it even more! Along for the Ride gave me just enough of everything I want. The setting is beautiful, the characters are likable. The story is emotional with lots of drama and it deals with the issues about family, friendship, love and even death. They will keep you turning the pages and reading more... wanting more... Who wouldn't want a summer on the beach, with new found friendships and a blossoming romance with a cute boy? I love Eli and I love Auden. I still think about them often and I feel happy every time.
This is the first book I read written by Sarah Dessen, and it won't definitely be the last one. Though there are parts where I find them far too detailed, it was still beautiful and enjoying. I love Sarah Dessen's writing and I became her new fan after reading this book. I recommend it to everyone who needs a dose of drama, who loves realistic fiction and who wants to read the blooming of a delicious romance. Pick a Sarah Dessen's book, pick this one!
“It all counts. If you’re not getting hurt, you’re not riding hard enough…Lesson: Get back on the bike and ride again.
And the bottom line is, what defines you isn’t how many times you crash, but the number of times you get back on the bike. As long as it’s one more, you’re all good.”


So glad you liked this!! This and 'The Truth About Forever' are my favourite Dessen's, though I pretty much love them all.
ReplyDeleteI've read Along For The Ride for more than ten times. I really like the book! Love Maggie and those crazy girls! Hehe. Love the review! Thank you for sharing it, April!! @ _ <
ReplyDeleteSee you around!!
Sam
Books For All Seasons
I haven't read anything by Dessen yet but I have a couple of her books on my shelf and heard she was a fantastic author. Glad you enjoyed it sounds like a great one to start with!
ReplyDeleteGiselle
Xpresso Reads
I love some drama in my reads. I will have to read this. Great review.
ReplyDelete