Thursday, September 29, 2011

Book Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass (Hourglass #1)
Author: Myra McEntire
Publication Date: June 14th, 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA
Category: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, Sci-Fi

Summary from Goodreads:

One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?
My Thoughts:

The cover of this book is undeniably stunning. And as beautiful as the cover, is the story itself! Myra McEntire created a stunning debut novel that is not only unique but is also delightfully engrossing. From the beginning up to the very end of the story, I was hooked. I couldn't love this book any more than I do now. I love the strong not annoying characters she created, and it was exciting to see how the story unfolds for each of them. I easily liked Em, and I loved Michael. If you want to meet a smart and strong-willed heroine plus the gorgeous hot guy Michael, you better read this one. Plus all the other characters you'll be happy to meet.  It has always been one of the factors that make me love a book.

I am a slow reader, I admit (hehe). This is because I only read during the night, and it's very seldom that I could afford to read during the day. Unless the book is engrossing as Hourglass. It was so hard to put down. I always looked forward to reading it again every time I needed to stop. I read this book until way past my bed time and until my eyes can no longer stay open. I especially enjoyed the delicious romance between the main characters--it was quite a great ride. Without the usual huge cliffhanger ending, I felt satisfied with just the right amount of peace of mind. It ends very well for me and it gave me enough reasons to wait for the next book with so much anticipation. If you hate huge cliffhanger ending, then you'll probably like this one.

This book has the exact amount of romance, suspense, and action that will pull you  deeper into the story. A unique  compelling novel that will put you at the edge of your seat until the very end.

I know that not everyone who read this book ended up loving it. But I do. I loved Hourglass and it now has  its place on my bookshelf as one of my favorite books. I can't wait for the sequel!

My Rating:

6 comments:

  1. Not annoying characters that still are strong sounds great! Actually the whole story does and the fact that it kept calling you to it. I absolutely love when books do that!

    I'm glad you loved it so much! I'm super curious about it myself and cannot wait to get a copy myself. :)

    Rebecca
    Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,

    When I first read the reviews about this book, I became quite hesitant to read it. But then I did eventually... I'm glad I finally read this book... I ended up loving it. I hope you will too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to read such a positive review of this book. The mixed reviews have made me pause, but I really love the premise. Good to hear there's a satisfying ending, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello TG!

    Thanks for stopping by... Yep, as I said, the reviews made me hesitant too... I'm not sure if you will like it as much as I did, but it's really good for me... I loved this book =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this book because of you and Kim, I hope can read it soon, thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lis!

    Thank you! =) I hope you'll like it! I really think it's good.. =)

    xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I may not be able to reply to every post but I read them all. Thank you so much for your visit! Come back soon =)