Published Date: March 13th 2012
Published By: Random House
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Summary from Goodreads:
This book is provided in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank NetGalley, Random House, and Author Kirsten Hubbard for the e-copy of this wonderful book.It all begins with a stupid question:Are you a Global Vagabond?No, but 18-year-old Bria Sandoval wants to be. In a quest for independence, her neglected art, and no-strings-attached hookups, she signs up for a guided tour of Central America—the wrong one. Middle-aged tourists with fanny packs are hardly the key to self-rediscovery. When Bria meets Rowan, devoted backpacker and dive instructor, and his outspokenly humanitarian sister Starling, she seizes the chance to ditch her group and join them off the beaten path.Bria's a good girl trying to go bad. Rowan's a bad boy trying to stay good. As they travel across a panorama of Mayan villages, remote Belizean islands, and hostels plagued with jungle beasties, they discover what they've got in common: both seek to leave behind the old versions of themselves. And the secret to escaping the past, Rowan’s found, is to keep moving forward.But Bria comes to realize she can't run forever, no matter what Rowan says. If she ever wants the courage to fall for someone worthwhile, she has to start looking back.Kirsten Hubbard lends her artistry into this ultimate backpacker novel, weaving her drawings into the text. Her career as a travel writer and her experiences as a real-life vagabond backpacking Central America are deeply seeded in this inspiring story.
My Thoughts:
"Wanderlove is about forgetting the bad things and focusing on the good. Out with the old and in with the new... The only thing to escape the past is to keep moving forward."
I don't know how to explain the feelings I have for this book. I enjoyed it so much that it kept me awake until 3 am. When I'm done, I still keep on thinking about it (and I still am). The story is not something that will get you hooked instantly but it will keep you reading until you realize that you're loving this book more than you think you would. The detailed writing, the beautiful setting, the admirable drawings, the likable and realistic characters, and the whole story itself is remarkable and inspiring.
When I first met Bria Sandoval, I immediately liked her. I understand how she tries to escape her past and be somebody that she thought she wanted to be. I understand her feelings though I wasn't actually in her shoes. When I read about her, a part of me wanted to join her in her journey and somehow find some pieces of me which I believe are still somewhere waiting to be found. Her story and her trip with Rowan are both exciting and sad at the same time. Bit by bit I get to know Rowan and Bria, it's a slow pace but very meaningful to me. It occurred that both of them are trying to run from their past: Rowan, from being a bad boy, and Bria from being good. It was not rushed and the romance is not something like "love at first sight". I get to see how their relationship improved and changed into something that both of them were trying to avoid. The story is believable. It's real. It's beautiful. I love the snarky comments, the witty and the meaningful conversations, and the funny moments that lightens the mood of the story.
"We're going to be spending a week there," I complain, "and I know nothing about it."
"Google it," Rowan retorts. "You know how, right?"
Asshole. I guess I should have known better.
"You'd be hurry, before the water cools completely."The author made me feel like I was traveling along with the characters she created. The places they visited were so real and detailed and the author made them beautiful through the characters' eyes. It made me want to go backpacking and travel the world.
"But I don't even know what to do. Do I splash water on myself? Dump it on my head?"
"Whatever works." He grins wickedly. "I can help, if you like."
"...you got to find your own places. The places you get, girl, the ones that stick in your heart. And if you're lucky, you find people to share them with."
Wanderlove is one of the most meaningful and remarkable book I ever read this year. It captured my heart in a special way that I can't even described. Beneath in what seems to be a light and fun adventure lies a deep story of self-recovery. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a really good contemporary novel that is blended with refreshing adventures and romance.
Sometimes what you love the most is what you have to fight the hardest to keep.


I'm so glad to hear you liked this one! While I don't think I'll pick it up in the near future, I do appreciate deep and meaningful books. They are sometimes scarce, what with the reading for fun (that I'll admit I do!).
ReplyDeleteFrom you review, I'd say that "real" is the best attribute this story could have, and what makes it connect with the reader in such a way.
Thanks for the wonderful review!
Ron @ Stories of my life
Thanks for the review! Great job as usual :) I am adding this to my 2011 YA Contemporary Challenge!
ReplyDeleteHello Ron, yes I loved it and I'm glad that I've finished it already... I couldn't sleep last night because I can't put it down. So I ended up sleeping at 3 am! I still think about Rowan and Bria until now...
ReplyDeleteHello Kim,
I'm excited for you to read it next year! I want to include it on my 2012 challenge too but I'm not allowed anymore.. I'm not sure if you'll gonna love this book as much as I do... I've been into some introspective books lately and I think it has something to do with my mood.... =P I hope you'll love it though! <3
Great review! I'm glad you liked it! I've been really interested in this book and your review definitely makes me want to read it more! :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic review.... now I'm really curious about this one! I'm not sure I'll be in a rush to pick it up either, but I'm definitely adding it to my TBR for a future rainy day :) So glad you loved it!
ReplyDeleteI've heard a lot about this one. I'm happy to hear that the romance isn't quick (I really enjoy the slow burning romances) Great review, I'm really starting to get more interested in this one.
ReplyDeleteIrene (Colorado Springs Boiler Repair)